Planner|Solid Waste & Environmental Services Department
- East Central Iowa Council of Governments - Cedar Rapids, Iowa (posted 8.8.17)
Duties: The purpose of the position is to provide general planning services to local governments in a six county region in the areas of, hazard mitigation planning, waste management, watershed planning, and other areas as assigned. Activities include the provision of planning services and technical assistance to communities, development of funding proposals, and fulfillment of administration and reporting requirements for various projects. This position is under the general supervision of the Solid Waste & Environmental Services Director. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing hazard mitigation plan updates for countywide/multi-jurisdictional areas, which includes:
- Developing a planning process and timeline that meets contract requirements and local priorities
- Facilitating planning meetings and public input
- Completing plan research, maps, and writing
- Facilitating the plan review and approval process with IHSEMD and FEMA
- Coordinating the plan adoption process for all participating jurisdictions
- Grant administration
- Assisting with other planning and public engagement activities in the areas of hazard mitigation, waste management, watershed planning and other areas as assigned
- Preparing and/or assisting with funding proposals and program administration for hazard mitigation, waste management, watershed planning activities, and other areas as assigned
- Providing staff support to planning and advisory committees
- Making presentations to a variety of groups, organizations, boards, and committees
- Completing other job-related duties as requested by the Solid Waste & Environmental Services Director
Qualifications: BA or BS and two years of experience, or MA or MS and one year of experience in planning, public administration, and/or natural sciences. Knowledge of principles and practices of public planning and an understanding of local governments and elected leadership are desirable. Skills should include:
- Computer skills including word processing, database, spreadsheets, presentation software, and GIS software
- Ability to track and coordinate multiple activities/tasks
- Ability to work with elected officials and a variety of public and private organizations
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing
- Capacity to analyze and identify trends from statistical and other data
- Capacity to create programs that will achieve identified goals
- Ability to travel within a six county region
Salary: Mid $40,000s, with benefits
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
East Central Iowa Council of Governments,
700 16th Street NE,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED. EOE
Transportation/Traffic Engineer - Bi-State Regional Commission - Rock Island, Illinois (posted 7.7.17)
Starting salary from $4,166.67/mo. or higher DOQ and PE status.
Responsibilities: Prepare/maintain MPO travel demand model, including calibration/validation, and trip forecasting for MPO Long Range Transportation Plan in team environment. Present results in written documentation, plans and presentations. Participate in urban and regional transportation planning–performance measures, ITS architecture, travel time and congestion analyses, crash analysis, long range planning, technical analyses for traffic and safety. Use variety of data sources/standards, Internet, documents, reports, surveys and personal contact to facilitate travel demand model development and analysis. Ability to independently evaluate, select and apply standard techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications to produce best results. Prepare and disseminate information in suitable format through extensive interaction with internal and external contacts.
Successful candidate will possess strong organizational, planning, verbal and written communication, project management, analytical and problem-solving skills. Two to three years previous experience with transportation modeling and analysis, and proficiency with TransCAD or CUBE, GISDK scripting, ArcGIS is preferred. Minimum BA/BS in Transportation, Traffic or Civil Engineering required. Excellent benefits, merit review program.
For more details, visit http://bistateonline.org/careers. Send detailed resume to email@example.com or mail to 1504 Third Avenue, Rock Island, IL 61201. If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Carol Connors at (309) 793-6302, ext. 125.
Executive Director - Mo-Kan Regional Council - St. Joseph, Missouri (reposted 7.17.17)
Mo-Kan Regional Council, St. Joseph, Missouri – the six-county bi-state regional planning commission in Northwest Missouri and Eastern Kansas – is seeking an executive director. The executive director is the chief administrative officer of the organization and reports to a board of directors comprising local elected officials and appointed representatives.
Mo-Kan is an EDA-designated Economic Development District; a primary planning partner in Missouri’s Statewide Transportation Planning Framework; and, the key community & economic development planning agency for the region. Other council programs include: SBA small business loan programs, GIS mapping services, workforce development, and grant administration of other state/federal/not-for-profit programs and projects.
Candidates should have familiarity in the program areas listed above and should have knowledge of the organization of local governments and federal nonprofit regulations. Must demonstrate strong administrative, communication and marketing skills and show past successes in working with state and/or federal agencies. This position requires frequent attendance at evening meetings, monthly travel to Jefferson City, and occasional travel out-of-state. A bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration or related field is required. Salary range is $60-70,000 DOE/DOQ.
To be considered for the position, please submit a resume with three professional-related references, salary history/requirement, to: Gary@Mo-Kan.org or Gary Miller, Mo-Kan Regional Council, 224 N 7thStreet, St. Joseph, MO.