- Northwest Iowa Planning & Development Commission - Spencer, Iowa (posted 9.12.17)
The Northwest Iowa Planning & Development Commission (NWIPDC), a Regional Planning Agency/Council of Governments for a nine (9) county region in northwest Iowa, is looking to hire a professional individual for a planner position. This position will specialize in Hazard Mitigation planning, GIS, and Community Development.
Minimum requirements are a degree in Urban/Regional Planning, Public Administration or related professional field. Job duties include: technical and advisory municipal and county work, grant writing, administration for federal and state grants, hazard mitigation planning and project administration, community development and zoning, transportation planning, and Safe Routes to School administration. The candidate must have good public speaking and presentation skills and comfortable working with city councils, Boards of Supervisors, and the general public. Written and oral communication skills are a must. Starting salary is $49,754.
For more information about NWIPDC, go to www.nwipdc.org. NWIPDC is an equal opportunity employer. Submit resume and cover letter by October 2, 2017, to: Ted Kourousis, Executive Director; NWIPDC; P.O. Box 1493; Spencer, Iowa; 51301 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Transit
- Iowa Northland Regional Council of Governments - Waterloo, Iowa (posted 9.8.17)
The Iowa Northland Regional Council of Governments is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Transit. Responsibilities include the delivery of daily transit services by training, assigning, and supervising Iowa Northland Regional Transit Commission (INRTC) bus drivers; maintaining the mechanical operation of a fleet of 20+ light duty buses and vans; ensuring compliance with regulations and safety rules, and administering and monitoring a variety of contracts. Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration/Management, Public Administration, or related field and a minimum of two years' experience in a supervisory position. Transit management experience preferred. Ability to obtain and maintain a Class C CDL with passenger endorsement is mandatory.
Education/Training: Bachelorís degree in Business Administration/Management, Public Administration, or related field preferred;
Work Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in a supervisory or management position; transit supervision or management experience preferred or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Required licenses, registrations and certifications: A Class C CDL driverís license with a passenger endorsement; a driving record that allows the employer to provide continued liability insurance coverage must be maintained.
Work is performed 50 percent outdoors and 50 percent indoors with the indoor work being performed in an office setting. Work includes working at a desk for extended periods of time, working with computers and other office equipment, moving throughout an office complex and from place to place throughout a six-county area, and working directly with the public and elected and appointed public officials. Work may also involve frequent interruptions.
HOURS OF WORK
Minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Start and finish times may vary dependent on assignment. May be required to work additional hours or to change hours with minimal notice and to work evenings and/or weekends to attend meetings or as required for the operation of the agency. Frequent travel throughout the six-county region and occasionally to various locations within the state is required.
Applications may be requested by calling (319) 235-0311 and will be accepted until the position is filled. See full job description.
Planner|Solid Waste & Environmental Services Department
- East Central Iowa Council of Governments - Cedar Rapids, Iowa (posted 8.8.17)
Duties: The purpose of the position is to provide general planning services to local governments in a six county region in the areas of, hazard mitigation planning, waste management, watershed planning, and other areas as assigned. Activities include the provision of planning services and technical assistance to communities, development of funding proposals, and fulfillment of administration and reporting requirements for various projects. This position is under the general supervision of the Solid Waste & Environmental Services Director. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing hazard mitigation plan updates for countywide/multi-jurisdictional areas, which includes:
- Developing a planning process and timeline that meets contract requirements and local priorities
- Facilitating planning meetings and public input
- Completing plan research, maps, and writing
- Facilitating the plan review and approval process with IHSEMD and FEMA
- Coordinating the plan adoption process for all participating jurisdictions
- Grant administration
- Assisting with other planning and public engagement activities in the areas of hazard mitigation, waste management, watershed planning and other areas as assigned
- Preparing and/or assisting with funding proposals and program administration for hazard mitigation, waste management, watershed planning activities, and other areas as assigned
- Providing staff support to planning and advisory committees
- Making presentations to a variety of groups, organizations, boards, and committees
- Completing other job-related duties as requested by the Solid Waste & Environmental Services Director
Qualifications: BA or BS and two years of experience, or MA or MS and one year of experience in planning, public administration, and/or natural sciences. Knowledge of principles and practices of public planning and an understanding of local governments and elected leadership are desirable. Skills should include:
- Computer skills including word processing, database, spreadsheets, presentation software, and GIS software
- Ability to track and coordinate multiple activities/tasks
- Ability to work with elected officials and a variety of public and private organizations
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing
- Capacity to analyze and identify trends from statistical and other data
- Capacity to create programs that will achieve identified goals
- Ability to travel within a six county region
Salary: Mid $40,000s, with benefits
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
East Central Iowa Council of Governments,
700 16th Street NE,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED. EOE